Wednesday, June 10, 2015

DIY: Colorful button embellished DIY denim Pouch!


Denim has undeniably ruled our wardrobes for centuries now. It teams up with everything, suits every season and looks good on all of us. Our life and our wardrobe, both are incomplete without them.

So, investing my time into a DIY pouch sounded more than fruitful to me. I don't see a point of starting a DIY unless the material is super inexpensive or available in my house as leftover from other DIYs. This piece of denim was left  from a denim dress I got stitched. I am a collector of buttons, especially colored ones. One day while I was arranging my cabinet, I ended up spilling these buttons on a piece of denim accidentally. Usually I get cranky if something like this happens, however, to my surprise that day I left everything aside and sat down to place these buttons in an order that made sense. This must have been the first time that I sat quietly doing something amongst  the chaos of my unorganized day and side cabinet. The colorful pattern of the buttons is so cute and refreshing that any dress would be happy to go along with it.
What all do you need?
Denim : A piece of fresh or old denim fabric. I had a big enough piece of fresh denim lying around in my house, but, I would be equally happy with an old, washed out denim too. You could cut a desirable amount of piece from your old, discarded pair of denims and use it as fabric.

Buttons : If you are a collector of buttons like me, you'll know that old shirts and button down dresses make excellent source of cute buttons. Or you could just buy some from the market. They are super inexpensive and buy just as many as you need for your pouch.

Zipper: Again, like all my DIYs are made from recycled, discarded goods, I got this zipper from a bag I was super keen on throwing away. The skin of the bag was too worn out to be used, but the zip was still intact. I couldn't throw the bag away till I saved a memory of it. So, the zipper is like a memoir from my once very beloved travel bag. If you have no bag to discard yet, don't discard one just for a zip. Buy a zip from the market and choose a color that adds to the look of the bag.

A sewing machine or a hand stitching kit and a Fabric glue: A thread, a needle and a fabric glue put together is as good as a sewing machine. Though, I am a proud owner of an all-in-one sewing machine, I can't deny how easy it is to use just a hand stitch and glue on my DIYs( I am just lazy)

1.Ok, lets start by stitching buttons in a pattern you want. Be patient, it will take a good amount of time. Do it while you're watching TV to keep yourself well entertained.
2.Once we're done with placing the buttons, fold the denim fabric inside out and hand stitch the fabric together on the sides to hold them intact for the sewing machine. Right now your pouch must be completely sealed, but, that's how it should be for our next step.
3.Adding a zip is a pretty tedious task. Remember the top side of the pouch is hand-stitched too. We need to fold out the fabric in opposite directions to flatten the top opening as shown in the picture.
 4.Place the zip upside down on the fold and hand-stitch/ glue at the sides to hold the zip and the fabric together.

Now, it should look like this.

5.Sew the sides together with a sewing machine tracing the hand-stitch or just use glue. If glued, leave the pouch pressed down under some weight for few hours for the glue to dry out.
6.Once attached, we can unzip the zip, pull out the thread from the hand-stitch or simply cut open the seal, fold the pouch inside out and zip it back again. The pouch is ready. Iron out the folds to help them settle down for a cleaner finish.
Here is how mine looked finally!


No comments:

Post a Comment