Wednesday, April 16, 2014

MADME about 60s Fashion and MADMEN


My MADMEN fever isn't dying down and one episode a week isn't helping much.Gotta do something to keep myself entertained till I get to see it's new episode. Are you a crazy fan of MADMEN too? What is it about this show that keeps us hooked, booked and cooked? Is it the girl crush (guys included) we all have on the hunk Jon Hamm, 'The Don Draper' or is it the prim and proper 60s fashion that we cant get enough of?Whatever is your excuse for watching this insecure, mean men ruled show, just keep on with it and be a witness to the perfect dresses, makeup and hair from the best fashion era world has ever seen. Did I just see your head nodd in disagreement? I may not have the power to ban you just yet but you get my point.

Hope you know I don't share any tips or secrets till I am bribed good. Why don't you dust off your collection of oldies and browse through some heart warming songs to set my mood. I am less meaner when I am happy. You can also play oldies from your go to bands/artists from the 60s but just so you know, I love Beatles, Rolling stones and Eric Clapton. 

Lets get the enviable 60s makeover started for people who agreed to me? And did I not warn you already that I am not an expert at 60s style, however,  am best at cutting it close ;) Hmmmm....how about starting with an inspiration? Who is your fashion icon from 60s? Choose your favourite to be your guide on your 60s fashion journey? For me its Audrey Hepburn.

1. Choose an outfit that suits your body type the best from the 60s. You can try from a number of options like classic fit and flare dresses, Shirt-waist dresses, turtle necks, pencil skirts, blouses in pastel colors, colorful floral dresses, polo dresses, odd prints inspired by "Flower Power", polka, tweed and psychedelic prints.
 2. Shoe choice is very obvious, one shoe that we have lusted after for decades and forever will, Pumps. Every gal owns a classy pair of pumps and its an investment that has big returns, you know it , I know it, even Men know it but can't wear it yet. Women wore classic pumps in nudes, pastels and deep colors in 60's and mostly matched their purses with their heels so lets just do that . You can also try pumps with block heels or ballet flats in plain colors if comfort is high on your list.
 

3. Jewellery is an easy fix. Its time to unleash the shining armour you once earned from your mum but kept it hidden from the whole world for the longest time, yes I know about the vintage pearl set buried in your closet? Pearls were and are a girl's best friend as much as Diamonds are, or may be more for their classy victorian feel. You can try timeless jewellery in pearls, diamonds and gold  like  pearl earrings, pearl necklaces, pearl bracelets or simple diamond earrings.
 4. Makeup was a serious business then and girls were too invested in the art of it. Skin powder was used to set  a dreamy, pale translucent look. Be up and about for some heavy lifting on your eye-lashes as makeup involved heavy mascara with too many brush strokes  finished with a curler and a cat-eyed liner.You may wanna invest in good quality false eye-lashes for an easy fix. Stop complaining about thinner eye-brows? That's what eye pencils were invented for, use them to get bushier and more defined look. And whoever said that Red is the only choice for your lips is wrong coz from what I know, even in 60s women wore nude,light pinks, peaches and coral colors. Its recommended to match nails with your shoes as women loved matching nails with their shoes and bags in the 60s.
5. Hair is the trickiest deal. Bouffants, beehives, pixies and bobs were very popular during 60s. Don't ask  me how to get them right, am not there yet myself !! Women spent hours doing their hair then but that's one thing we are always running out of now. You can give wigs a try  like women did in 60s to get different looks, saves you ample of time and efforts for a quick smoke then and facebooking now but if you wanna try the real deal, be my guest !!! You need a good quality volumiser, curlors to get big curls and a hair spray to set them at the end.
6. Nothing screams 60s more than Gloves , Scarves, Pillbox hats and Sunnies, they are a must have for gals to achieve the 60s. You can choose  a sunny that suits your face the most from options like thick rimmed horn glasses, Retro style half rimmed glasses, vintage thick or thin rimmed round glasses, vintage cat eyed or tortoiseshell sunnies. 

Remember, all this effort to posh up is not for a worthless selfie, you gotta do something meaner (oops I meant bigger but meaner works too). So lets not waste your smart phone's very dumb battery on your selfies and use it to do what phones are meant to do, call up all your exes and gal friends and lure them for a treat at a nice place. Believe me you, its totally worth it. Don't tell them about your look yet, just pout and trot now. Your exes and  gal-friends will get their share of well deserved heart attacks and you will get your share of green (you have already painted the town green with envy...wink wink****)

Blahh blahh blahh  xo xo...untill I move out of 60s and find inspiration in some other era to talk your ears off ;)

PS: Check out my pics below to see what all went into the making of MADME.  How much would you score me on my own MadMEN (MADME) makeover? 

Disclaimer: I don't smoke, neither do I support or promote it, its just a prop to get into the DON DRAPER attitude.  


My  MADME  look:
Dress : My own DIY design inspired by vintage 60s.
Shoes :Forever21
Bag: Highstreet
Pearls: Forever New
White frame shades: Accessorize
Diamond rings and studs : New U








 



No comments:

Post a Comment